This is THE best applesauce recipe EVER!
Of course, as the recipe inventor, my opinion is slightly biased so you’ll just have to try it for yourself and let me know what you think.
I absolutely love applesauce, especially the unsweetened, tart variety, and eat it both before and after my workouts.
Since I go through so much applesauce I decided to start making this treat at home. After experimenting with a few recipes I came up with this combination of ingredients which has just the right amount of tartness for my taste.
- 5lbs Granny Smith Apples
- 1 Red Delicious Apple
- 2 McIntosh Apples
- 3 Asian Pears
- 2 Ripe Bananas
- 1/4 cup Unsweetened 100% Cranberry Juice (Use apple juice if you prefer your applesauce to be sweeter)
- 1tbs Honey (Use 1tsp raw, organic Agave nectar if feeding applesauce to infants under 14 months old)
- 1tsp Lemon Juice (Optional, helps preserve color)
- 1tsp Cinnamon
CrockPot Applesauce Instructions:
- Peel and core apples
- Cut each apple into 4 pieces
- Peel and core pears
- Cut each pear into 4 pieces
- Peel and mash bananas
- Place all of your ingredients in a CrockPot and cook on “High” for 5 hours
- After 5 hours lightly stir your applesauce and mash any large chunks that may be left
- Allow applesauce to cool before placing it in the refrigerator
Notes: This recipe yields around 32oz of applesauce, depending on the size of your apples, and is ideal for both canning and freezing.
Photo Courtesy of: Stacy Spensley