My Favorite Recovery Drink
This recovery drink is a refreshing blend of a variety of fruit and vegetable juices that never fail to re-energize me after a hard workout.
Plus, it takes less than 5-minutes to prepare and blend. But, best of all, it doesn’t cost me a fortune.
You see, my gym has a wonderful juice bar and the girls who work there are more than happy to put together a variety of fresh fruit and vegetable juices for a price: A medium fruit/vegetable juice costs $6 and a large fruit and vegetable juice costs $8. Plus, they charge $.50 extra for juices that contain more than 3 fruit or vegetables. So, at the gym this recovery drink will cost me over $7. But, at home I can make it for less than $2.
What Will A Recovery Drink Do For Me?
Having a properly formulated recovery drink, right after your workout, is a great way to rehydrate yourself as well as replenish all the vital nutrients that are lost through sweat.
You will notice that this recovery drink doesn’t contain protein. That’s because I prefer to have my protein shake before my workout since protein shakes, on average, are higher in calories than fruit/vegetable juices, and take longer to digest. On the other hand, I prefer to have this fruit/vegetable juice as my post workout recovery drink for the following reasons:
- Liquid nutrition is absorbed fast
- Fruit juices are a great way to stabilize your blood sugar levels after a hard workout
- Fresh fruit juices are a great way to replenish the nutrients, vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants you lose through sweat
- Drinking coconut water is one of the best ways to rehydrate your body and flush out the toxins that cause muscle soreness
- Ginger has been scientifically proven to help minimize inflammation and thus relieve muscle soreness pain
Recovery Drink Ingredients
- 2 inch fresh ginger, peeled (to help ease muscle inflammation)
- 1 bunch sugar snap peas (for added fiber)
- 1 medium granny smith apple (skin health benefits of apples)
- 1 thin slice honeydew melon (to stabilize your blood sugar levels)
- 1 kiwi (for added fiber)
- 1/2 dragon fruit (optional)
- 3/4 cup coconut water (for added hydration)
Recovery Drink Recipe
- Place all ingredients in a blender, blend and Enjoy!
photo courtesy of: gadl