What Is Tofu?
Tofu is a staple source of calcium and protein in the vegetarian and Vegan diets.
This Vegan source of protein is made from a mixture of mashed soybeans, soy milk, water and coagulant much in the same way cheese is made from milk.
This soy bean curd is a versatile but flavorless Vegan ingredient with chameleon-like qualities which allow it to absorb flavors through various spices and marinades.
Tofu comes in different textures which are derived using different amounts of coagulant:
- Extra Firm: Ideal for stir-frying
- Firm: Ideal for BBQ
- Soft: Ideal for making creamy dips or soups
- Silken: Ideal for use in smoothies
This Asian-style dish is a prime example of how tofu is consumed within the Vegan and Vegetarian diets.
- 16 oz extra firm tofu, cut into small cubes
- 1/8 cup peanut oil or olive oil for frying
- 1 tbsp peanut or olive oil for coating the tofu
- 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup fresh small pineapple chunks (You can also use Mango chunks)
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice
- 2 tbsp grated fresh ginger
- 3/4 cup rice flour
- 2 white onions, cut into thin strips
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 red pepper, cut into thin strips
- 4 scallions, cut into small pieces
- 2 tbsp dry sherry
- 2 tbsp finely grated orange rind
- 2 tbsp hot bean paste
- 1/4 cup roasted, unsalted, cashews
- 1 cup white rice, cooked
- Cook rice in a rice cooker
- In a large ceramic bowl mix oil, tofu, ginger and soy sauce, cover and let marinade for 30 minutes
- Drain tofu but preserve marinade
- In another bowl, coat the tofu in the rice flour
- In a wok heat your frying oil
- Add the tofu to the hot oil and stir-fry for 1-2 minutes or until tofu is golden brown
- Remove tofu from oil, pat dry with paper towels and set aside
- In the hot wok stir-fry the onion, garlic, and brown sugar until onions are golden brown
- Add your peppers, sherry, orange rind, bean paste, scallions, pineapple juice and reserved tofu marinade
- Bring mixture to a boil
- Add tofu and pineapple chunks to the mixture, toss to heat through
- Sprinkle with cashews and serve over white rice
photo courtesy of: KFoodaddict