In celebration of yet another Meatless Monday I want to share with you this easy vegetarian ice cream recipe that I discovered by accident.
One day, as I was making myself a banana fruit smoothie, I noticed that banana puree is quiet rich and creamy. Now, I am certain that I am not the first to make this discovery, but it still got me thinking, “what if I freeze the bananas and then puree them?”
Well, the frozen bananas pureed beautifully into ice cream but the bananas I had used were semi-rip. So, I added some maple syrup to the mixture to sweeten it slightly and that worked too. If your bananas are overly rip, or sweet enough for your taste, do not add the maple syrup.
Note: I have included the option of adding strawberries to this ice cream in order to make strawberry-banana flavored ice cream. But, if you choose to do this be sure not to overly chill your strawberries since this changes their taste and prevents them from blending into the ice cream mixture entirely.
Healthy Home-Made Vegetarian Banana Ice Cream Recipe
- 12 semi-ripe bananas
- 3 tbsp organic maple syrup
- A food processor or good blender (No ice cream maker needed!)
- Strawberries, if you plan to make banana-strawberry flavored ice cream (optional)
- Peel and cut your bananas into small, bite-size pieces
- Place 10 bananas in the freezer and freeze till solid (2-3 hrs)
- Save the remaining bananas for garnish
- Place strawberries in the refrigerator for 30 minutes, if you plan to use them
- Place the bananas, maple syrup and strawberries in the blender and blend till they form creamy ice cream
- Place ice cream in a glass or ceramic bowl, cover, and freeze again for 1 hour
- Slivered almonds, and various other nuts
- Santa Cruz brand vegan organic chocolate syrup
- More bananas and strawberries
- Crushed gluten-free ice cream cones
- Vegan whipped cream
Vegan Whipped Cream Recipe
The SoyaTool brand makes an amazing whipped soy topping. However, if you prefer to make your own vegan whipped cream check out this easy how-to video.