Ginger Salmon Recipe
The first time I tried this ginger salmon dish was in a small Chinese restaurant located around the corner from my apartment in the Little China neighborhood of Brooklyn, NY.
Besides cheap rent, one of the main benefits of living in such a dynamic neighborhood is that I have access to some of the lesser known, but most authentic Asian restaurants in the country.
So, ever since I moved into this neighborhood, I have made a point of trying as many new dishes as possible. Of all the dishes that I’ve tried, so far, this salmon dish is my favorite. That is why I have made an effort to duplicate it as best I can.
Before I share the recipe I must mention that in the restaurant this salmon dish was served to me over white rice. However, I am not a big fan of white rice which is a great source of high glycemic carbohydrates but lacks significant nutritional value.
In an effort to bring down it’s carbohydrates count and boost its protein content I am substituting black bean spaghetti in place of white rice in this salmon recipe.
What Is Black Bean Spaghetti?
Black bean spaghetti is a high protein pasta made with organic black beans and water instead of flour and eggs like traditional pastas. Despite its name, this pasta does not taste like beans. It tastes a lot like whole grain pasta.
This Vegan, high protein pasta is an Asian ingredient widely available in most Asian food markets. You may also be able to find this pasta in the Asian aisle of your grocery store. However, if your grocery store does not carry this type of pasta you can find it Online HERE
Ginger Salmon Recipe Ingredients
- 1/4 cup peanut oil or olive oil
- 1/8 cup fish sauce or low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup unsalted cashews, coarsely chopped
- 2 lbs salmon, bones removed and cut into 2 inch pieces
- 2 small shallots, finely sliced
- 1 large mango, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 4 inch fresh ginger, julienned
- 2 cups oyster mushrooms, diced coarsely
- 1 tbsp finely chopped and seeded green chilli
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp crushed garlic
- 1 pack organic black bean spaghetti
- Salt and pepper
- Cook black bean spaghetti just as you would cook any other type of pasta
- Heat a wok or skillet and coat it with your oil
- Add the shallots and ground coriander to the oil and stir-fry for about 3 minutes
- Add salmon, soy sauce, ginger, Mango, chilli, garlic, and stir fry until fish begins to cook
- Add cashews, mushrooms, lime juice, salt and pepper and stir fry until salmon is fully cooked
photo courtesy of: FotoosVanRobin