Greek Salad Wraps
I grew up with this simple Greek salad recipe.
For as long as I can remember, my mother, aunts, grandparents all served this colorful dish at every family function. And you know what? Even as a child I LOVED eating it because it was so pretty. In fact, my nickname for it was “The Pretty Salad”.
As I got older I realized that having grown up with dishes such as this is the reason why I’ve never had a problem eating healthy. Now, I am doing my best to incorporate the healthy dishes of my childhood into my everyday meal planning schedule so that my family can also reap their benefits.
Another thing that I’ve realized about the healthy recipes my family has always served is that they are extremely versatile. For example, this Greek salad can be eaten as a side dish, as a healthy vegetarian lunch with a side of pita bread and hummus or felafels, or as a healthy, low fat brown-bag lunch when wrapped in low-carb, whole wheat wraps such as I’ve shown below.
Greek Salad Wraps Ingredients
- 1/2 cup low fat grated feta cheese
- 1 medium-sized or 2 small Mediterranean cucumbers
- 1/2 red onion
- 2 large vine tomatoes
- 1/4 cup diced capers
- 1/4 cup diced olives
- 1/2 cup Trader Joe’s frozen artichoke hearts
- Trader Joe’s “Just Grilled” chicken strips (optional: for added protein)
- Low-carb whole grain wraps
- 6 large basil leaves
- 1 tbsp lemon juice & some lemon zest
- 1/8 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Salt & pepper
Greek Salad Wraps Recipe
- Defrost artichoke hearts and chicken strips
- Finely dice your tomatoes, cucumbers, onion, olives, capers, artichoke hearts, and basil leaves
- Dice chicken strips into thin strips
- Place diced ingredients in a glass bowl
- Add feta cheese, olive oil, lemon juice & zest, salt & pepper and chicken strips
- Toss all ingredients together
- Wrap in low-carb wraps and ENJOY!
photo courtesy of: waferboard