Salad For Lunch
This healthy salad recipe bring back for me a great deal of happy childhood memories.
As a child I watched my grandparents follow a strict Mediterranean diet. Today, I awe many of my healthy eating habits to what I’ve learned about nutrition from my grandparents’ eating habits.
Though this dish is technically a salad, it is nutritionally complete enough to serve as a low-calorie, high protein meal and a perfect example of the type of healthy foods followers of the Mediterranean diet consume.
I remember watching my grandmother as she prepared this dish either on a Wednesday or Friday, the two days out of the week during which she did not eat meat.
However, my grandmother’s resolve to not eat meat on these days never stopped us from consuming a nutritionally balanced meal which includes protein. Since meat was off limits, she simply found a different means by which to provide us with protein.
And, one of these means included incorporating mushrooms into her dishes since mushrooms are often used as a meat substitute in the Mediterranean region. Mushrooms are the ideal Mediterranean ingredient because they are naturally high in protein and fiber, while also being naturally fat-free, cholesterol-free and low in carbohydrates.
Today, I serve my family this warm mushroom salad as an alternative to a grilled chicken salad.
Healthy Salad Ingredients
- 2 shallots sliced thinly
- 1 cup brown beech mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup Crimini mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup Shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup oyster mushrooms
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 lb herbed goat cheese (optional)
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 Avocado
- 1/8 cup honey
- 1 cup arugula
- 1 cup spinach
- 2 cups mixed salad greens
- Sliced almonds, unsalted
- Croutons (optional)
Healthy Salad Preparation
- Heat 1/4 cup olive oil in a saute pan.
- Saute the shallots.
- Once the shallots are slightly brown, add the mushrooms and lightly saute them.
- Add salt, pepper and lemon juice, toss and remove mushrooms from heat.
- In a large bowl, mix arugula, spinach, mixed greens, blueberries, tomatoes, avocado, almonds and croutons.
- Drizzle salad with honey and toss.
- Drizzle remaining olive oil over salad and toss again.
- Add mushroom mixture to the salad and toss lightly.
- Add desired amount of goat cheese to each salad serving and ENJOY!!!!
photo courtesy of: cyclonebill