Modern science is just starting to understand the natural healing powers of olive oil. Ancient civilizations did not understand the exact science behind the medicinal properties of olive oil but they understood the philosophy, “All food is medicine and all medicine is food”. Thus, ancient civilizations, such as the Greeks and the Egyptians, priced olive oil not just based on its nutritional value but its medicinal value as well.
Today, we have modern medicine to thank for extending and improving the quality of our lives. But, there are still times when it is best to treat common ailments with natural remedies that have little to no side effects. Note: please consult your doctor first to make sure the situation is not worse than it appears.
The following is a short list of all-natural home remedies for common ailments that feature olive oil as their key ingredient.
Soothe Sun Burns
Extra virgin olive oil is highly effective in soothing and relieving the pain of minor first degree burns such as sunburns. Some studies have also concluded that lotions, containing extra virgin olive oil and other essential oils, can help speed up the healing process of first degree burns and inhibit the effects of bacteria on the vulnerable new skin.
Note: When applying an olive oil remedy directly to the skin it is best to use organic extra virgin olive oil. This oil is the purest and most potent form of olive oil because it is derived from the first pressing of the olives.
To help soothe your sunburns with an extra virgin olive oil home remedy:
- wash the effected area with cold water and a mild soap containing olive oil.
- Using a measuring cup, combine 1/4 cup pure lavender essential oil and 3/4 cup olive oil and mix well.
- Apply the mixture to the sunburned area at least 3 times a day and leave the burn uncovered.
Soothe Ear Aches
According to a new study, published in the September 2005 issue of Sciencedaily.com, extra virgin olive oil contains a naturally occurring non-steroidal anti-inflammatory agent that functions a lot like ibuprofen in the human body. Thus, home remedies, containing olive oil, are highly effective in easing the pain of ear aches, especially in children, which are often caused by the inflammation of the ear canal.
The following natural home remedy, for ear aches, is so safe and effective it can even be used on babies:
- Heat the olive oil in the microwave, for no more than 5 seconds, and check to make sure the oil is just lukewarm.
- Wet a towel and warm it in the microwave. (Please check to make sure the towel is not too hot)
- Gently lie the child on his or her side and place a few drops of oil in the affected ear.
- Place the warm towel on the ear and have the child lie still for a few minutes so the oil has a chance to slide down the ear canal.
Soothe Sore Throat/Cough
Homemade sore throat/cough remedies, containing olive oil are highly effective because when swallowed olive oil coats the sore throat, instantly soothing the dry itchiness, which is often responsible for the accompanying cough. Next, the anti-inflammatory components go to work soothing the pain and inflammation in the throat.
To make your own homemade cough syrup/sore throat remedy using olive oil:
- Using a measuring cup, mix 1/4 cup lemon juice with 1/4 cup of honey.
- Gently warm 1/2 a cup of olive oil, in the microwave, for no more than 5 seconds.
- Make sure oil is not too hot before mixing with the lemon and honey mixture.
- Take one tablespoon of this mixture every two or three hours.
When using olive oil as an ingredient in a homemade sore throat remedy or cough syrup it is generally not recommended that you take more than one tablespoon of the remedy every two or three hours because olive oil also functions as a very gentle and highly effective laxative.
Remedy Common Skin Disorders
For centuries, olive oil functioned as a key component of natural remedies used to treat common skin disorders such as eczema and psoriasis.
This is how you can make a natural, great smelling, highly effective, topic ointment for the treatment of eczema or psoriasis:
- In a bowl, mix 1 cup olive oil with 1/4 cup sweet almond oil, 1/4 cup apricot kernel oil, 1/4 cup pure lavender essential oil, and 1/4 cup coconut oil.
- Beat the mixture into a froth.
- Wash the skin with cold water and a mild soap containing olive oil and pat dry.
- Apply this mixture to the affected area, liberally.
- Allow the mixture to absorb into the skin before dressing.
This tip is for those of you who plan on partying hard this weekend:
- Swallow 2 tbsp of olive oil, followed by one cup of cold water before starting to drink alcohol.
This mixture will prevent the alcohol from absorbing into your bloodstream too fast. Furthermore, the laxative properties of olive oil will detox your system and minimize the feeling of being “hungover” the next day.