What Is Apple Cider Vinegar?
Apple cider vinegar (ACV), also known as cider vinegar, is a type of vinegar made from cider or apple must which is essentially apple juice containing the skins, seeds, and stems of the fruit.
This amber colored vinegar is a highly acidic type of vinegar with a variety of uses and health benefits.
Cleaning With Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is the ultimate green cleaning ingredient! Due to its anti-bacterial properties, apple cider vinegar is an all natural alternative to bleach.
Best of all, cleaning your home with apple cider vinegar, instead of bleach, will not leave it smelling like vinegar or bleach. In fact, once the vinegar solution evaporates it leaves behind a sweet and slightly floral scent which is a pleasant alternative to the chemical smell of bleach fumes.
For instance, instead of disinfecting your child’s toys with a solution made with 25% bleach and 75% hot water, try replacing the bleach with this vinegar. The toys will come out just as clean as before, and your child’s room, or your home, will not smell like bleach.
Likewise, instead of using bleach, or other harsh chemicals, in your shower to help prevent mold and mildew from settling in, try spraying your shower curtain and shower walls with the same 25% bleach and 75% hot water solution. Because of its anti-fungal properties, apple cider vinegar does a great job of keeping your bathroom mold and mildew free, naturally.
Apple cider vinegar can also be used to:
- Remove soap scum and odors from inside your dishwasher and washer machine (Simply pour 1 or 2 cups of this vinegar in the machines and run them for one rinse cycle)
- Remove lime buildup in your tea kettles (Simply pour 1 cup of vinegar and 2 cups of water in your tea kettle, let it sit overnight, boil it in the morning for 10 minutes and rinse with clean water)
- Clean and deodorize your toilet bowl (Simply pour 2 cups of this vinegar in the bowl, let it sit for 15-20 minutes and then flush)
- Remove pet stains and odors from your carpet (Spray the stain directly with a solution of 50% apple cider vinegar and 50% hot water, dab with a cloth to remove excess moisture and let it air dry)
- Wipe your floors, including wood floors, with a solution of 50% apple cider vinegar and 50% water. Add 20 drops of sweet orange essential oil to the water for a fresh, citrus scent.
- Clean your shower drains (mix 1/2 cup salt and 1/4 cup baking soda into 1 cup apple cider vinegar and 4 cups boiling water and pour down the drain, wait 15 minutes and rinse with 4 cups boiling water)
- Clean and shine windows (In a spray bottle, mix 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar and 2 cups warm water, spray on glass and wipe clean with old newspapers or a thick paper towel)
Note: For more information regarding why it’s important to clean your child’s nursery with green cleaning products please see: Baby Friendly Benefits of Green Cleaning
Apple Cider Vinegar For Fungal Infections
Apple cider vinegar can be used, topically, to naturally treat a variety of fungal infections such as athlete’s foot, oral thrush, ringworm and yeast infections.
- To help cure athlete’s foot, naturally, simply soak your feet in a solution made of 25% ACV, 15% Epsom salt and 60% hot water.
Note: For information regarding apple cider vinegar’s ability to help cure yeast infections please see: Apple Cider Vinegar: An Unexpected Cure For Yeast Infections
Apple Cider Vinegar For Weight Loss
Apple cider vinegar is nature’s fat blocker. This vinegar works a lot like a modern diet pill in the sense that it helps suppress your appetite and block fat absorption in the gut.
Of course, ACV, alone, will not help you lose weight. But, when combined with a healthy diet and exercise program, it can help increase your overall weight loss. Therefore, consider adding this vinegar to your salad dressings when attempting to lose weight.
Dietary Health Benefits Of Apple Cider Vinegar
Warning: Consuming apple cider vinegar may not be safe for people with Diabetes. This is because apple cider vinegar contains chromium which can alter insulin levels. If you have Diabetes, please consult your doctor before consuming ACV.
Apple cider vinegar is one of the world’s most overlooked health foods. When consumed, this vinegar has the following health benefits:
- Relieves sore throats (when mixed with honey)
- Eliminates bad breath (when used like mouth wash)
- Reduces the pain and duration of canker sores, which occur inside the mouth
- Fights high cholesterol levels from inside the gut
- Eases the symptoms of food poisoning
- Settles the stomach and help fight morning sickness
- Fights allergies by strengthening the immune system
- Helps ease muscle soreness after a workout
- Boosts the metabolism
- Improves digestion
- Helps prevent acid reflux
- Relieves constipation
- Fights the symptoms of arthritis by reducing inflammation
- Eases menstrual cramps by reducing inflammation in the body
- Helps stop bladder stones from forming
photo courtesy of: Veganbaking.net