The fact that motherhood is tough is no secret to the loving and selfless women brave enough to embark on this journey.
However, do the rest of us really have a clue about just how difficult it is to be a responsible mother on a daily basis?
Do we have a clue about just how physically and mentally exhausting it is to spend one’s days completing the endless small tasks that keep a family and household running smoothly?
The following illustration is designed to help you grasp just how difficult motherhood is by comparing the number of calories a bodybuilder burns weight lifting for two hours at the gym to those an average woman burns after spending her day completing all the small chores of motherhood which so often go unnoticed by those benefiting from them.
This list of household chores mirrors the typical, daily chores of a stay-at-home mother of small children. The calorie-count-estimates are derived from FitDay.com and are designed to illustrate the typical calorie usage of an average female between 5’1” ft to 5’4” ft who weighs around 120 to 150 pounds.
- Making Beds: 5 min = 10 calories
- Showering…..Implied Standing: 30 min = 125 calories
- Grooming….Implied Standing….ex: Drying Hair, Applying Makeup: 15 min = 39 calories
- Driving Automobile….Driving kids to and from School…etc..: 1hr = 125 calories
- Grocery Shopping…..Implied Walking: 1 hr = 144 calories
- Putting Away Groceries…Implied Walking: 20 min = 52 calories
- Mopping Floors: 20 min = 73 calories
- Carpet Sweeping/Sweeping Floors: 20 min = 69 calories
- Light Cleaning……ex: Dusting, Carrying out Trash, Putting Away Toys: 20 min = 52 calories
- Walking Home Activities…..ex: Folding/Putting Away Laundry: 20 min = 48 calories
- Straightening Up the Yard….Implied Standing: 15 min = 47 calories
- Watering Indoor Plants: 5 min = 13 calories
- Food Preparation…..Standing or Sitting: 30 min = 62 calories
- Serving Food/Setting the Table….Implied Standing or Walking: 10 min = 26 calories
- Clearing Dishes From Table…..Implied Standing or Walking: 10 min = 26 calories
- Washing Dishes: 10 min = 24 calories
- Carrying Small Children…..15 Pound Max…..Implied Intervals: 30 min = 94 calories
- Playing with Children….Sitting/Light Effort: 1hr = 156 calories
- Child Care..Sitting/Standing..ex: Bathing, Dressing, Grooming, Occasional Lifting: 1hr = 156 calories
- Walking the Dog…Twice a Day: 20 min = 62 calories
- Bathing Dog: 30 min = 109 calories
- Feeding Dog: 5 min = 13 calories
Grand Total: 1525 calories
In comparison, according to FitDay.com, the same woman will only burn half the amount of calories lifting weights vigorously at the gym for two hours.
- Weight Lifting…..Free Weights…..Limited Rests/Vigorous Effort: 2hrs = 750 calories
Motherhood And Exercise
As this article clearly demonstrates, motherhood is physically and emotionally demanding. But in no way does this article imply that women who are engaged in the care of small children do not need to also implement a workout routine into their daily schedules. This article is only meant to serve as an illustration of why some women neglect to take time for themselves. But, are women doomed to lead unhealthy lifestyles until their children are older? Of course not!
Motherhood is not a time to abandon healthy habits. It is merely a time to get creative and come up with new ways to incorporate healthy habits, such as a daily workout routine, into your new lifestyle.